This is the paella recipe I first learned from my father (and so he did from his father). However, I have to admit he keeps making this authentic paella recipe better than me. Either with fire, gas, or induction, he masters this paella. (For other Spanish rice recipes like arroz al horno I honestly overtook him 😉 ).
Here, in Valencia region, it’s traditional to make paella every weekend. When I visit my parents, the paella time is one of the moments with them I appreciate most. The paella below was made by my father in May 2020 and it was stunning.
Authentic paella ingredients
The ingredients for this traditional paella recipe are similar than the ones for Paella Valenciana, definitely its inspiration. What is slightly different is the process, because here we add the rice before the water or broth.
🥘 Difficulty: Easy-Average
🥘 Servings: 4
🥘 Nutrition: 440 Kcal
- 400g (2 cups) round rice for paella (Or bomba rice)
- 200g (0.45 lbs) chopped pork ribs
- 400g (0.9 lbs) chicken (never breast)
- 100g (0,2 lbs) butter beans
- 100g (0.2 lbs) runner beans
- 200g grated ripe tomato
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 4 small branches of fresh rosemary
- Pinch of saffron (optional but preferable)
- 0,8l (3 1/2 cups) of water or preferably chicken stock for paella (3 times the rice weigh for bomba rice)
How to make authentic paella
🥘 Total time: 55′
🥘 Prep time: 20′
🥘 Cooking time: 35′
The process of this authentic paella recipe is easy, and it is the recipe I share when a friend (Spanish or not) ask me for an authentic paella recipe.
Just follow carefully the steps and you will learn how to make authentic Spanish paella.
- Heat up the pan (medium heat,) add the oil until it gets quite warm
- Add the vegetables. First, the pepper, stir a bit, and then the beans. Stir and soften
- Put the chicken and pork in. Put aside the vegetables. Then, add the meat in the middle of the paella pan and sauté until browned.
- Pour the grated tomato. Stir while it soft fries.
- Add the rice in. Stir until it gets oil and tomato coated. The rice should be half of the stock.
- Mix everything in. Stir for a little while
- Pour the water or broth, previously warmed, including salt and saffron. Stir carefully for the last time.
- Let it boil until the liquid is almost totally gone. (About 10-15 min, depending on the heat).
- Add small branches of rosemary on the top. (This step can be done when there is still liquid)
- Turn down the heat (minimum). And cover the pan. Let it cook for 15 min
- Turn off the heat. Let it repose for about 5 min and serve it
- Enjoy this authentic paella and comment here how did you like it