This easy chicken paella recipe uses the delicious, mild, tasty and somehow addictive chicken meat as the only ingredient of animal origin and the essence of traditional Spanish paella.
Not only is a simple and interesting meat paella, with its particular flavor, but it is also an alternative to seafood paella for allergy sufferers, or for those intolerant to other meats present in other types of this dish.
Furthermore, this is an easy recipe (actually one of the easiest meat paella), especially for those who don’t live in Spain, or they just want to cook quick paella with the ingredients found at home.
This recipe can help you kick-start mastering Paella
Chicken Paella Ingredients
🥘 Difficulty: Easy
🥘 Serves: 4
🥘 Nutrition: 410 Kcal
- 400g medium-grain rice
- 5 chicken thighs or drumsticks (breast is valid on emergencies)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red pepper
- 100g green or runner beans
- 800ml chicken stock
- 2 grated mature tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 1 tbsp. sweet pepper or paprika
- A little bit of rosemary
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Black pepper powder
How to make an easy chicken paella
Total time: 1h
🥘 Prep time: 15′
🥘 Cooking time: 45′
This is an easy recipe, almost basic I would say. And, as you can see, it was made in a normal pan, not in a paella. So bookmark this page, follow the steps and be ready to enjoy a non-fully-traditional but tasty dish at home.
- Pour olive oil into the paella pan. Heat over medium heat
- Add the pepper, the beans, and the garlic. Stir while softening
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and black pepper. Sauté them in the hot oil until they get browned
- Sprinkle the paprika and saffron. Let it sauté for about 5 minutes to infuse
- Take out the pieces of meat and pepper from the paella. It is time to make the “sofrito“
- Add the finely chopped onionSauté until tender
- Add the grated tomato. Let it cook and slightly evaporate until it becomes a dark red paste.
- Add the meat back to the pan. Stir to mix it with the sofrito
- Add half of the peppers back. Stir and keep cooking for a few more minutes
- Pour the hot stock. Increase the heat to boil
- Add the rice and stir for the last time. Make sure the rice is completely covered by the stock
- Cook for 10 minutes over high heat and then lower the heat to continue for another 10 minutesUntil there is no liquid (almost)
- Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, try the rice. If it is still hard, add more stock and continue cooking for a few more minutes until al dente.
- Cover the pan. Let it cook for 5 more minutes
- Turn off the heat. Decorate the paella with a few slices of lemon, the rest of the roasted peppers and rosemary.
- Once it has rested for 10 minutes, it can be served. Enjoy it!
You also may like the meat paella the chicken chorizo paella or the easy paella recipe chicken and prawn