Authentic mixed paella is the most famous variant of the traditional paella or Valencian paella recipes.
The recipe contains not only different kinds of meat but also with a mix of different shellfish. For example, mussels, small cuttlefish or squid and prawns that give a special flavor to the mixed paella.
Paella is so good and people associate Spain with good cuisine and the sea. So, this is most tourist’s favorite dish when they visit Spain as well as seafood paella. If you are going to try it just one, what’s better than trying seafood paella and Valencian paella altogether?
Although the mixed paella is not the “original paella recipe”, this rice dish is one of the most ordered in restaurants.
How To Make Seafood Mix Paella Recipe
Here you can find a recipe for paella mixta so you can delight your family, friends and yourself by combining
For this , you can add or bomba rice. The second one absorbs more liquid so it will taste better, but it will need 1/3 more stock. And regarding stock, it has to be seafood/fish stock.
- 400g (30 Tbs) paella rice
- 800g (60 Tbs) stock
- 8 prawns or shrimps
- 400g (0.9 lbs) chicken meat (not breast)
- 100g (0.22 lb) mussels
- 100g (0.22 lb) runner beans
- 100g (0.22 lb) butter beans
- 100g (0.22 lb) red pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 small squid or cuttlefish
- 200g (1 cup) tomato puree or grated
- 1 tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- Prepare the stock. This recipe is based on seafood stock but it can be chicken or meat stock-based too.
- Prepare all the ingredients. Whilst the stock is being made, cut the red peppers into long slices, the runner bean into 2cm pieces and the onion and garlic finely chopped. The meat should be cut into equal pieces so they can be evenly cooked. Cut the cuttlefish or squid into small pieces.
- Heat up the pan and add the oil. Heat the oil at medium-power. Then, sauté the onion and garlic very finely chopped
- Add the squid, the meat and the pepper and sauté
- Before the meat is browned, add the squid and shortly afterward the pieces of red pepper. Sauté everything until the meat has a golden color. It is necessary to control the fire well so that the meat doesn’t get overcooked but making the squid soft at the same time. You can take the red pepper out of the paella and leave them on a plate until you add the stock.
- Then add the rest of the vegetables and sauté. Stir and control the heat not to burn any ingredient.
- Add the tomato and paprika powder and stir. Let everything sauté for a few minutes.
- Now it is time for the rice. Add it to the paella, stir and let it sauté a bit. For this recipe, you can add normal round rice (paella rice) or bomba rice. The rice should be added in such a way that it is distributed evenly throughout the paella and is completely covered with water.
- Pour the warm stock, salt, saffron, and stir to mix everything, then set the heat to the max. Try the stock and add more salt if you consider it. From this moment there is nothing more to do but waiting for the water to start boiling hard so that the raw vegetables can be made well. Don’t stir anymore from this point.
- Let everything boil until the liquid is about to be absorbed entirely. It should take about 20 min. The mussels and prawns are then added to the paella.
- Once there is no liquid set the heat to the minimum. Wait for 15 more minutes
- Then, turn off the heat, wait for 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
Pro tip: In a mixed paella, the fish, shellfish or prawns have a short cooking time, so we must avoid overcook them. You should add them in a moment near the cooking ends or take them out when they after sauteing, to add them back almost at the end as decoration.
Alternative tip: Sauté them and reserve until the stock is almost gone,